Simple Tips to Get Your Air Conditioner Set for Springtime
- Open the vents under your house: This only applies if your AC has a peer and beam foundation. Opening up the vents will help keep your system fresh, and make sure nothing has gotten trapped inside it over winter.
- Make sure the visqueen under your house is intact: This is another one that really only applies if your AC unit is outside. The visqueen protects your system from the elements. If this plastic guard has worn away over winter, you will want to replace it.
- Clean the exterior condenser unit: Chances are your unit has accumulated a certain amount of dirt and debris throughout the winter. AC systems are meant to withstand a lot, but while we’re lucky in Southern California that most areas do not experience snow, it’s still good to give your system a good hose-down, especially around the fin area. If there’s an excessive amount of grime, you may want to scrub the unit with soap or another cleaning product, too.
- Change your system filter: This should be done regularly, regardless of what season it is. However, the weeks moving from the spring to winter months are a particularly important time to have this done, as your old filter is likely to perform worse after months of disuse. This is even more important for individuals with allergies, who are already likely to be affected by increased allergens in the springtime, even without a bad filter spreading contaminants.
- Check the pipes: If your unit does have an insulated pipe—or pipes, if you have a heat pump—you should turn it on before you plan on using it in earnest, and listen for strange noises. Your insulated pipe(s) should be cool, while the others should fee slightly warm. If they are not, there’s a good chance there’s an issue with your refrigerant level.
And the Final Tip… Call Moe Plumbing Services!
Ultimately, the best thing you can do for your system following the winter months is to have it serviced by a professional technician. An HVAC expert from Moe Plumbing will be able to complete all necessary cleaning and tune-ups, and even adjust your thermostat settings to maximize energy efficiency for spring! Our goal is for you to get the most out of your system, no matter what time of year it is. Call today for professional service that can will keep your AC unit running safely and cost-effectively in spring and beyond.
To schedule service or get more information, call (818) 396-8002, or contact us online.