Garbage Disposal Maintenance and Repair
Call Our Los Angeles Plumbing Experts at (818) 396-8002
Garbage disposals are an often overlooked and underappreciated household necessity. The blades will often wear down after about five years. If you are experiencing problems with your garbage disposal or perhaps your kitchen sink keeps clogging, do not hesitate to contact us. We will troubleshoot and fix the problem quickly.
Contact Moe Plumbing Services today at (818) 396-8002 to schedule your garbage disposal maintenance or repair in Los Angeles.
HOW TO USE A GARBAGE DISPOSAL
Garbage disposals are often overlooked when compared to other household appliances, however, they serve a crucial purpose in every kitchen. Just like any other appliance, there are certain best practices you should keep in mind when using a garbage disposal in order to avoid damaging the unit. If you do encounter an issue, you should reach out to our team right away for a reliable Los Angeles garbage disposal repair service.
WHAT TO DO:
- DO run cold water before and while grinding
- DO allow cold water to run before turning off the garbage disposal. This will keep fats in solid form so they do not clog the garbage disposal and will help can cool the disposal’s motor, thus increasing the length of the garbage disposal’s life.
- DO check for leaks regularly. Leaks can lead to pest infestations and mold in the cabinets below the sink.
WHAT NOT TO DO:
- DON’T pour bleach into the sink. Bleach can damage the seals of the disposal. If unpleasant odors are coming from the garbage disposal, treat the garbage disposal with citrus peels or baking soda and vinegar.
- DON’T turn off the garbage disposal while it is still grinding. Instead, run cold water after all the food has been ground to ensure the garbage disposal is completely flushed out.
- DON’T put eggshells, potato peels, grease, or fibrous foods in the garbage disposal. These foods can build up in the pipes and cause clogs.
Maintenance For Your Garbage Disposal
A few maintenance tips can keep your disposal operating at maximum efficiency longer and keep your kitchen from experiencing stoppages. The following steps will keep the blades, rotating assemblies, and grinding chamber clean which grinds food more effectively minimizing drain blockages and foul odor from food debris.
Here's what you need to do to clean your garbage disposal:
- Gather 1 tray of ice cubes, the peel from 1 lemon cut into 4 pieces, and 1/4 cup of scouring powder (Comet, Ajax, etc.)
- Put the cleanser and half the lemon peel into the disposal
- Dump the ice tray into the disposal filling it to the rubber splash guard
- Turn on the cold water side of the faucet allowing a small steady stream of water to drain into the disposal
- Turn on the disposal and allow the ice to be ground up in the grinding chamber of the disposal
- Once the majority of the ice has shattered and the disposal sounds clear, put the last half of the lemon peel in the disposal
- Turn the water on full blast rinsing the disposal and drain line
The Experience to Get the Job Done
Since 1927, our plumbing company has been providing Los Angeles residents with the best possible services at a reasonable rate. We know what kind of problems can occur from a broken garbage disposal. It is our goal to make sure you do not have to deal with the aftermath of a broken garbage disposal and allow your kitchen sink to run smoothly.
Moe Plumbing Services has technicians who have been on staff for more than a decade and all of our technicians are fully trained after going through a five-year apprenticeship program. They are not learning on the job here. We set them up for success and with the abilities to take care of all your plumbing needs.
Schedule your Los Angeles garbage disposal repair today. Call (818) 396-8002.