Having pure, fresh water in your home is essential to avoid harmful diseases and health conditions from consuming contaminated or hard water. Hard water contains high levels of minerals that could corrode your plumbing pipes and cause issues with water-using appliances. It could also cause dry, itchy skin and hair that feels sticky. Having pure water in your home is essential to avoid these issues and to help your plumbing system last longer. How can you tell if the water in your home is pure?
There are several warning signs to alert you to polluted or hard water:
- Discoloration. If the water has any discoloration or tint, it is unsafe to use. High mineral levels, such as iron and manganese, could cause discoloration. Furthermore, rust and pollution from pesticides or chemicals could also cause a tint in the water.
- Foul odor. In some cases, the water may smell like chlorine or rotten eggs. This indicates high levels of chlorine or sulfur, which puts you at risk for serious health problems and skin irritation.
- Bad taste. Water that is contaminated will often have a metallic or bitter taste. If you notice a strange flavor of your home's water, it is important to stop drinking it immediately and call a professional plumber.
- Blue-green tint on water fixtures. High levels of copper in your home’s water supply could leave blue-green stains on the water fixtures and faucets. Exposure to high levels of copper could cause liver and kidney damage, digestion problems, and anemia, so you need to stop drinking your home's water right away.
- Murky water. In some cases, the water in your home may appear murky or cloudy. This is a sign of high mineral levels. An oily film on the standing water in your bathtub or shower is also an indication that the water is contaminated by grease.
What to Do If You Notice Signs of Poor Water Quality
If you notice any of the warning signs listed above, it is important to stop drinking the water and call a professional plumber immediately. Our team will arrive on time and inspect the system, and will discuss your options for installing a reverse osmosis water filtration system to protect your water supply from contamination. We will work diligently to help you enjoy fresh and clean drinking water right from your taps so you don't have to use a bulky water cooler or buy bottled water.
To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call Moe Plumbing Services today at (818) 396-8002.