Although garbage disposals are often overlooked when compared to other household appliances, garbage disposals serve a crucial purpose in every kitchen. The appliance utilizes sharp blades in order to chop food waste until it is small enough to fit through holes at the bottom of the unit.
Like any other appliance, garbage disposals must be cared for regularly. To help, our Los Angeles plumbers have listed do’s and don’ts regarding garbage disposal care:
- DO run cold water before and while grinding
- DO allow cold water to run before turning off garbage disposal. This will keep fats in solid form so they do not clog the garbage disposal. In addition, this can cool the disposal’s motor, which can increase the length of the garbage disposal’s life.
- DO check for leaks regularly. Leaks can lead to pest infestations and mold in the cabinets below the sink.
- DON’T pour bleach into the sink. Bleach can damage the seals of the disposal. If unpleasant odors are coming from the garbage disposal, treat the garbage disposal with citrus peels or baking soda and vinegar.
- DON’T turn off the garbage disposal while it is still grinding. Instead, run cold water after all the food has been ground to ensure the garbage disposal is completely flushed out.
- DON’T put egg shells, potato peels, grease, or fibrous foods in the garbage disposal. These foods can build up in the pipes and cause clogs.
Facing Garbage Disposal Issues? Call Moe Plumbing Services.
If you are facing garbage disposal issues in your home or place of business, we urge you to get in touch with our Los Angeles plumbers at Moe Plumbing Services right away. Because we understand that such issues can arise during the worst hours of the day or evening, our team remains available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
To speak with our highly trained and qualified plumbers, call us today!