With several cold months of winter ahead, it’s important that your home has a reliable heating system. However, just because your heating bills are going to go up doesn’t mean you have to resign yourself to throwing money away. Find out how to save money on heating costs this winter, and remember that you can always call our HVAC professionals at Moe Plumbing Services for all your heating service needs.
5 Reliable Ways to Save Money on Heating Costs
- Turn Off Your Heating System When You Are Not Home*: You may have heard that it’s better to let your air conditioner run during the day, even when you go out, as it’s cheaper to keep it on at a low setting all day than cranking it as low as it can go when you get home. This is good advice. However, the same is not true of your heater. Letting your heater run when you aren’t home is a huge waste of money. Fortunately, you can still heat up your space before you get home with the help of a smart thermostat.
*Note: Homeowners that live in areas that regularly experience below freezing temperatures in the winter should always keep their furnace on, even when they are not home. This can help prevent frozen pipes and plumbing emergencies.
2. Keep Your Thermostat Setting Low: It may sound counterintuitive, but you should always set your thermostat high during the summer and low during the winter. This will help you balance out your HVAC costs and achieve more stable temperatures year-round. A modern, smart thermostat may assist with this, as these cutting-edge devices can not only be controlled remotely, but will actually learn your comfort preferences, adjusting automatically to achieve the ideal home temperature for your needs.
3. Seal Up Cracks & Holes: Every year, homeowners in America lose roughly 25-40% of the energy generated by their HVAC system through air loss. You may be able to reduce some of this, however, by sealing up openings and crevices throughout your house. We suggest weather-stripping doors and windows and caulking up holes and cracks to seal in temperatures as much as possible. You may also want to consider checking to see that your insulation is in good condition, as a poorly insulated home is likely to experience a ton of air loss. And even doing small things like locking your windows can prevent cold air from getting in and warm air from getting out.
4. Don’t Forget to Turn Off Your Exhaust Fans: Functioning exhaust fans are essential for maintaining good indoor air quality and getting rid of nasty odors and gasses. Yet every time you turn on your exhaust fan, you are also letting out the air that has been conditioned by your HVAC system. When you’re running your bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans during the winter, try to turn them off quickly, so you are not letting out any more air than you have to.
5. Never Hesitate to Call for Heating Service: As with all HVAC issues, the sooner you call for heating repair, the better. At Moe Plumbing Services, our skilled HVAC technicians are highly equipped to deal with all your major furnace, boiler, and other heating system problems. We also offer quality maintenance to keep your heater running when you need it most, and with 24/7 emergency service, there’s never a bad time to call our heating experts at Moe Plumbing Services.
Moe Plumbing Services is available by phone at (818) 396-8002, or you can send us a message online.